Dr. Stephen Butler is a forward-thinking leader with an ardent focus on student success, quality curriculum/innovative educational programming, and a commitment to academic management defined by measurable results. Specialized in interdepartmental collaboration, change management, fiscal accountability, performance coaching, and the retention of highly specialized faculty. Personal attributes include a determined, decisive and direct leadership style with exceptional public speaking and strategic planning skills. Invested in providing a distinctive and high-quality learning environment.
Ed.D. – Argosy University, Instructional Leadership with a concentration in Instructional Technology, Teaching and Learning, 2013
M.Ed. – University of Pittsburgh, School of Education Administration and Policies Studies, 2005
B.S. – Graphic Design, LaRoche College, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1990
Boise State University – Organizational Performance and Workplace Learning. Coursework completed:
Foundations of Organizational Performance
Blended Learning for Performance Improvement
eLearning Content Design
- Demonstrated strategic thinker and problem-solver. Exceptional in fast-paced environments and known for “thinking on my feet”
- Skilled in change management leadership utilizing ISPI and ATD Performance Improvement Models with diverse populations.
- Ability to develop and implement efficiency, consistency, and compliance in the workplace through a systems-thinking approach.
- Experienced in leading, training, and mentoring in areas of assessment and accreditation across all campus departments.
- Highly effective in the translation of quantitative and qualitative data into coherent and simplified reporting for university leaders and decision-makers through statistical analysis and interpretation of results.
- Excellent presentation skills with an ability to present technical information in a non-technical manner and meaningful way.
- Skilled in working with faculty, students, and administration on diverse and sensitive topics and promoting university-wide collaboration and teamwork.
- Displays acute attention to detail while maintaining a high-level perspective as an academic and campus leader.
- Excellent public speaking, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Versed in Human Performance Improvement (HPI), Performance Analysis, Cause-Effect, Brainstorming and Evaluation.
- Versed in Excel, PowerPoint, and Wrike Project Management.
The Art Institutes, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 2012-2019
Director of Curriculum Development and Learning Resources
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1997 to 2012
Interim Dean of Academic Affairs
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
Director, School of Design
Assistant Director, School of Design
Academic Department Chair
Sladekutter, Ltd., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1994 to 1997
Creative Director, Print and Interactive
UPMC, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1990 to 1996
Computer Graphic Specialist, Creative Services
Graphic Designer, Creative Services
Curriculum and Instruction
- Managed the national curriculum review, revision, and development for all campus and online academic programs. Coordinated the development of instructional materials consistent with sound instructional design principles and led the development of media for use in online modules and websites including video, audio, and interactive graphics.
- Applied a systems approach to the curriculum development and implementation of national and local curriculum among a system of 51 campuses, resulting in a 90% national product standardization rate from an approximately 10-15% initial standardization.
- Managed an online course development team of instructional designers, media designers, course resource specialists, quality assurance personnel, and learning management system administrators. Reviewed scripts, storyboards, and completed courseware to ensure sound design, usability, functionality, and compliance with government and accessibility requirements.
- Led virtual subject matter expert and industry roundtable sessions aimed at facilitating program needs analysis and determination of program and course outcomes more efficiently and less expensively than previous on-site collaborations.
- Ensured instructional efficiency and integrity of the course development process through systematic design and clear course standards/outcomes with instructional designers and subject matter experts resulting in reduced overall development time.
- Coordinated multiple development teams working on common and related projects matching talent, projects and resources for optimal quality and efficiency. Built strategic roadmaps for larger/complex projects forecasting design and resource needs.
- Guided existing instructor-led curriculum into an online learning format.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including exceptional skill in breaking down complex and technical topics.
- Trained in visual and graphic design skills applicable to the creation of images and graphics that support and enhance learning content and support the development of powerful presentations.
- Oversaw the accreditation, approval and regulatory processes for all curriculum to ensure 100% compliance in all areas of recruitment-based materials.
- Development of a national standardized General Education curriculum assuring compliance across all relevant state requirements and regional/national accreditation guidelines.
- Development and implementation of a national math Initiative designed to improve student learning outcomes through active, independent learning with self-paced math courses. This initiative resulted in a 10% increase of course pass rates for students enrolled in college math.
- Development and implementation of a national English Redesign initiative designed to increase student writing support and provide more classroom engagement and focused instruction.
Management and Leadership
- Provided academic and strategic leadership, vision and planning, program development and course creation, assessment, faculty support, and retention initiatives for three nationally recognized institutions resulting in system-wide consistency and compliance.
- Served as an executive member of a national leadership team reviewing and revising national online course design instructional principles.
- Responsible for hiring, development, and management of academic program chairs, online program directors, and faculty using consistent academic key performance metrics and establishing consistent communication and reporting methods.
- Established and respected in faculty management and widely known for a leadership style cultivating trust, respect and results. Skilled in conflict resolution and change management.
- Served as Chair of Dean’s Advisory Committee and Academic Policy Committee with both campus and online faculty, working through faculty concerns and grievances and fostering an environment of collaboration and collegial respect.
- Managed the research, development, and implementation of new degree programs for the national system of 51 Art Institute campuses.
- Oversaw the management of personnel and the delivery of system learning resources for students nationwide, including the oversight of e-books, digital resources, and campus technology implementation processes.
- Served on the Leadership Implementation Team for the institutional conversion of the learning management system from Pearson Learning Studio to D2L Brightspace.
Accreditation and Assessment
- Provided self-study and committee leadership in successfully migrating The Art Institute of Pittsburgh campus and online division from a nationally accredited associate-degree granting institution to a four-year regionally accredited bachelor-degree granting institution.
- Served on various regional accreditation reaffirmation steering committees leading to consecutive 5- and 10-year reaffirmations with Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) as well as supported various successful programmatic accreditations.
- Developed and implemented academic and administrative assessment processes resulting in campus-wide training, administering of institutional surveys, and the reporting of assessment results to regional, national and programmatic accreditors, and state regulators resulting in a consistent and continual institutional improvement cycle and successful and consistent regional, national and programmatic accreditation.
- Developed and managed the systematic review of national curriculum across multiple campuses to ensure relevant and meaningful outcomes, student success, compliance, and progress toward institutional strategic initiatives. Development of Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) and Action Plan for Implementation (API) data.
- Worked closely with Deans and Department Chairs in the compilation and submission of information substantive change reports to various accreditation agencies ensuring ongoing institutional compliance.
- Managed and maintained highly confidential and sensitive data mandated by institutional, state, and national regulations.
Strategic Planning/Budget Development
- Member of President’s National Executive Planning Committee responsible for the development of national strategic initiatives in all functional operating areas for three national higher education institutions which identified and integrated projected educational, physical, and financial development.
- Member of National Advisory Committee researching and developing new and alternative curriculum delivery models with a goal of increased student satisfaction, increased student engagement, student retention, increased return on investment, and increased graduation timelines. Result was the review of program health data, development of implementation of revised online learning design principles, and micro-credentialing initiatives.
- Served on oversight committee to develop new asynchronous courses in a project-based online environment incorporating milestone tracking modules, increased collaborative community environment, and a more focused learning path designed to decrease student drop rates, increase passing rates, boost overall student satisfaction, and increase student-to-student and student-to-faculty collaboration.
- Worked extensively on multi-million dollar fiscal year operating and capital budgets ensuring alignment institutional and departmental assessment outcome data and departmental strategic planning.
- Ensured operating and capital needs were assessed yearly including student employees, teaching assistants, library resources, advising and registrar needs, and staffing and student success initiatives.
Community Engagement and Service
- Served as Principal Administrator/Investigator for a joint project between The Art Institute of Pittsburgh and the Center for Astrophysical Research in Antarctica (CARA)/National Science Foundation (NSF) Grant. Managed oversight of the design and implementation of various extreme cold weather gear and human-powered vehicles to be used in Antarctica. Spent two weeks in Antarctica at the South Pole as the community outreach liaison and educator on the project.
- Coordinated efforts on behalf of The Art institute of Pittsburgh with the Center for Astrophysical Research (CARA) in Antarctica to develop an installation on the DASI telescope with the Smithsonian Institution National Air and Space Museum as well as the Museum of Natural History in New York City.
- Provided project management and art direction for Creation Rex, the college’s contribution to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History’s Dinomite Days. Supervised student production of all aesthetic features of the project, which has served as an iconic creative symbol for The Art Institute of Pittsburgh and delivered millions of impressions through national print and broad- cast media coverage.
- Contributed to the musical production of Hungry Hearts, a series of fundraising concerts hosted by Hard Rock Café in Pittsburgh for the exclusive benefit of The Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.